Subscribe

27 June 2016

Practical Atheists

Practical Atheists:




First of all, thank all of you who prayed for the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ during our time in Ghana, Africa. I was incredibly blessed in many ways, and I am grateful for the opportunity, which God Almighty provided. The sheer volume and intensity of the experience makes it impossible to summarize at this point, but suffice it to say that I am forever changed.

Many passages of Scripture come to mind, but as I compose this entry one specific verse lingers heavily: Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God’s masterpiece, created anew in Christ Jesus to do the good things, which God prepared for us long ago.”

So much of what we do with our lives reveals our infidelity, uncertainty, and wariness about God. So much of what we do with our finances, our time, our health, and our resources reveals that we have more concern and interest in building our personal kingdoms than anything God might have prepared for us.

When push comes to shove our true nature is exposed, and it reveals that we are Christians in name only, but practically - we are atheists.

After nearly ten years of waiting, God provided me with an opportunity to serve/minister full-time within a local church. A couple months ago my home church, Community Life (clifec.com) invited me to take part in our support of God’s mission in Ghana, Africa. I was filled with apprehension, doubt, uncertainty, and eventually fear when the time finally came to depart.

My greatest fear was malaria. I’m a mosquito magnet, and I was certain that I would be eaten alive by mosquitoes in Ghana since they’ve had an uncharacteristically wet season just prior to our arrival. Within hours of our arrival I’d already been “bitten” (yes, I know mosquitoes don’t really bite), and while I was already on anti-malaria meds - I was certain that I would be part of that small percentage of the population for whom the meds don’t work.

Prior to our departure I’d purchased every kind of mosquito repellent known to mankind. I had the little “OFF!” fan, wipes, sprays, bracelets, soap, and even repellent for my gear. What I didn’t account for was how much I would sweat in Africa. I sprayed the permethrin gear repellent on my pants - not realizing that it would soak through, get on my skin, and then into my bloodstream.

By the third day in Africa I was experiencing muscle tremors, spasms in my diaphragm, terrible headaches, chills, and intense nausea. At first I was convinced I had malaria, but after looking on the internet I realized I had poisoned myself with all the DEET sprays, wipes, and permethrin. It took about 36 hours for me to recover, but thankfully I was able to make all my teaching sessions at the Bible College in Navrongo.

For those of you who have been following this blog for a while you might recall that I went to Ghana to teach the gospel of Mark to the students at the Bible College. In chapter six of Mark’s gospel we read about the horrific death of John the Baptist, “And immediately the king sent an executioner with orders to bring John's head. He went and beheaded him in the prison and brought his head on a platter…” When we reached this section several of my students asked the question, “Why didn’t Jesus help John?”

We all ask the same question regarding our own lives, “Why didn’t Jesus help?” The answer reveals that we are practical atheists. When we are in the green pastures we lift up the name of Jesus and we herald Him as God and Savior of the world! But when the darkness of life’s circumstances come, when we are in prison like John, when we are lying sick in a bed in Africa, or when tragedy strikes we ask, “Why didn’t Jesus help?”

It is in those moments that we have the greatest opportunity to “walk by faith, not by sight.” As Oswald Chambers notes, “The most devout among us become atheistic in this connection; we do not believe God, we enthrone common sense and tack the name of God to it. We lean on our own understanding instead of trusting God with all our hearts.”

In the midst of my illness I found myself asking God, “Why would you bring me here to Africa only to allow me to fall ill and die (that’s how awful I felt)!” As I was spewing my prayers of selfishness and self-pity I exercised the discipline of 2 Corinthians 10:5, “...and we are taking captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” Immediately my prayer was transformed to one of repentance and thankfulness.

God owes us nothing, yet at the Cross He blessed us with the opportunity for eternal life. Through the power of the Holy Spirit we can receive the gift of faith in Christ and walk by faith, not by sight.

God redeemed John’s insecurities while he was in prison when John asked, “Are you the one who is to come?” God redeemed my insecurities, doubts, and fears in Africa - graciously transforming them into opportunities for revival, evangelism, preaching, teaching, and service.

In what area(s) of your life are you refusing to walk by faith rather than sight? In what areas are you living as a practical atheist because you’re convinced that Jesus didn’t help? How are you using the resources that God has blessed you with in order to do the good things He prepared for you long ago?

Are you building your own kingdom on earth or are you being poured out for the kingdom of God and His eternal glory?

Blessings,
-Kevin M. Kelley

aMostUnlikelyDisciple.com

No comments: