Subscribe

15 June 2016

CONNECTING DOTS:

CONNECTING DOTS:




One of the greatest thrills as a student of God’s Word is seeing His handiwork throughout the Bible’s architecture / grand story. In preparation for an upcoming mission trip to Ghana, Africa, where we’ll have the opportunity to teach at a Bible college, I’ve studied Mark’s gospel deeper and more extensively than ever.

The following is not meant as a harsh judgment, but as encouragement for improvement: As Christians we spend little time in God’s word, and the time we spend is often rushed to fill in a blank for our curriculum -or- deliverance from our God-ordained circumstances. How often do we see the Bible as God Almighty’s glorious, inerrant, and omnipotent revelation, i.e. literal “revealing,” of Himself, His character, His nature, His purpose, His plan, and His mission? How often do we stop and ask Him, “God, what are you trying to teach me in and through this?”

I’ve been told that the Bible college students in Ghana have difficulty “connecting the dots.” Things aren’t much different anywhere else. If people truly understood God’s word, i.e. the Bible, thus allowing the omnipotence of God Almighty to be unleashed in our studies, our prayer life, our relationships, our occupations... then wouldn’t there be tangible evidence of His Presence and power? Wouldn’t we have powerful testimonies of lost people being redeemed from darkness into the eternal light of Christ? And in doing so wouldn’t we be encouraged to lean in, cast off all doubt and reservations, and live “recklessly” abandon to our holy and privileged calling as His friends, mediators, followers, and heralds?

Oswald Chambers’ words are fitting here, “We are not meant to be illuminated versions, but the common stuff of ordinary life exhibiting the marvel of the grace of God. Drudgery is the touchstone of character... The tiniest detail in which I obey has all the omnipotent power of the grace of God behind it. If I do my duty, not for duty’s sake, but because I believe God is engineering my circumstances, then at the very point of my obedience the whole superb grace of God is mine through the Atonement.”

Truth be told? Might it be that we are sorely disappointed in God for the lack of flair, production, influence, and power in our lives. “When Simon saw that the Holy Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, saying, ‘Give me this power too, so that anyone I lay hands on may receive the Holy Spirit.’” Like Simon the Sorcerer (Acts 8:9-25), we desire the dramatic power of God, but we reject and resist His authority, His LORDship, and His process of purification in our lives. Rather than seeking Him we tap into our power and resources in order to return to mind-numbing comfort of homeostasis. Rather than calling out to God for transcendent transformation in order that He might be fully manifest in our lives, we feebly reply, “This hurts and makes me uncomfortable.”

Over the next several days, while in Ghana, my hope is that God will bless and redeem our time there as we teach, preach, evangelize, and make much of the name of Jesus Christ. If time and circumstances allow, I hope to be able to share some of those experiences with you as they are happening (if not then when I return the the U.S.A.). Meanwhile, I’ll be praying that God “connects the dots” for all of you - my friends in Africa, America, and across the globe “to the ends of the earth.”

I hope and pray you’ll stay tuned…

Blessings,
-Kevin M. Kelley

aMostUnlikelyDisciple.com

No comments: