Subscribe

13 December 2016

AND FOREVER MORE

AND FOREVER MORE:


Sometimes even good kids have a tendency to want to run away from home when they think that life would be better elsewhere – more fun, less rules, more candy, no chores…  As kids mature into adults they leave home to pursue an education or a career - not because they think the "grass is greener" elsewhere.

Psalm 23 is one of the best know psalms in history.  There is great comfort in knowing that the LORD is our shepherd, but David took this relationship very seriously.  Much of psalm 23’s popularity arises from the comfort and benefits we receive from the LORD, but if that’s our “take away” from this psalm – then we have missed the boat entirely.

When David said, “The LORD is my shepherd; I lack nothing” in v.1, he was talking about a permanent relationship that defines our existence – like the one that exists between sheep and shepherd.  David was not talking about a novel relationship of comfort, convenience, and benefits.  We see the depths of this understanding as the next few verses unfold.

1The LORD is my shepherd; I lack nothing. 2He brings me to stretch out in grassy pastures – beside quiet waters he leads me. 3He restores my soul. He guides me in the deep paths of righteousness for the purpose of his Name…

David saw the greatest benefit of being a sheep in the flock of the LORD as being a privilege and blessing “for the purpose of his Name.” This privilege manifests itself as a rhythm of life where we spend time stretched out in grassy pastures as well as time in the valley of dark gloom. That’s why David wrote:

4By the same token, though I walk in the valley of dark gloom – I fear evil not for you yourself reside within to support me. Your rod/tribe and your staff they comfort me.

The times in grassy pastures are to help strengthen our faith so that we can endure the valley of dark gloom “for the purpose of his Name.” It is while in the valley of dark gloom that we discover:

5You (LORD) prepare a table/banquet/feast for me while my enemies watch. You anoint my head with oil. My cup overflows.

It is not the times we spend stretched out in grassy pastures beside quiet waters, but rather times in the valley of dark gloom that turn out to be the LORD’s lavish banquet table. Those times when we are in deep despair – surrounded by enemies and overwhelming odds - those are the ones that bring the enemies of God into His family as they watch for a legitimate distinction between how a true believer in God responds to adversity vs. how everyone else responds.

6Surely sweet goodness and covenant loving-kindness will pursue hard after me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

David understood that the greatest blessing we receive as the "sheep" of the Good Shepherd is that the LORD’s sweet goodness and covenant loving-kindness “will pursue hard after me all the days of my life.” God’s love doesn’t merely follow after us like a lost puppy, but rather PURSUES HARD after us!

The confidence that David had in the LORD’s unfailing love came from a deep love-relationship that went two ways. With the LORD as David’s shepherd – David truly lacked nothing.  Circumstances didn’t matter to David – having much (grassy pastures) or nothing (valley of dark gloom) didn’t mean anything. The only thing that mattered to David was the LORD’s Name being lifted up, the enemies of the LORD being brought before His lavish banquet table, seeing the difference in how one responds to adversity, i.e. the absolute joy of dwelling “in the house of the LORD forever.” Not merely a statement of a future hope “forever,” but more profoundly, and maybe more accurately, translated “now and forever more.”

David was not the spoiled kid who dreamt of a “grass is greener,” Disneyland life of all cotton candy, stuffed animals, and slumber parties. David was not thinking of a future time when he would go to heaven and be with God when he penned the words, “I will continue to dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” David was saying that he trusted - had faith - in the LORD as his shepherd, and whether life in the here-and-now with the LORD brought grassy pastures or dark gloom. Whatever life brought, David would have it no other way because the Name of the LORD was continually being glorified by perpetually dwelling in the faith of the moment. Ah yes, come what may, “The LORD is my Shepherd.”

Is He your shepherd? Is He your God through thick & thin? Are you only interested in what God has to offer in terms of the “grassy pastures” of life where you get good things from God – OR – are you, like David, primarily interested in the glory of His Name? Are you interested in the deliverance and transformation of the enemies of the LORD - considering that was you just a moment ago? When His enemies surround you as they are intentionally brought to His lavish banquet table - how do you reveal Him? Are you perfectly content with simply dwelling in the house of the LORD forever whether grassy fields or dark gloom?

Consider that when you read what David wrote.

“The LORD is my shepherd.”

Is He yours?

1The LORD is my shepherd; I lack nothing. 2He brings me to stretch out in grassy pastures – beside quiet waters he leads me. 3He restores my soul. He guides me in the deep paths of righteousness for the purpose of his Name. 4By the same token, though I walk in the valley of dark gloom – I fear evil not for you yourself reside within to support me. Your rod/tribe and your staff they comfort me. 5You prepare a table / banquet / feast for me while my enemies watch. You anoint my head with oil. My cup overflows. 6Surely sweet-goodness and covenant loving-kindness will pursue hard after me all the days of my life, and I will continually dwell in the house of the LORD now and forever more.

Blessings,
-Kevin M. Kelley
aMostUnlikelyDisciple.com



No comments: