Subscribe

03 November 2016

THE WAITING TRAP

THE WAITING TRAP:


A couple of years ago I read an article that had quite a profound impact on me. I was struggling with how to get into the art / craft of writing. I knew I wasn’t a great writer. I knew I wasn’t even a good writer. I worried that my stuff wouldn’t be good, relevant, enjoyable, sound, accurate… So I started reading and researching. I began buying books on grammar, writing styles, etc., but I didn’t do much writing. I got caught in the waiting trap.

Then one day I read an article written by a well known secular editor, which profoundly impacted my life and ministry. This woman said something to the effect of “If you want to be a writer, then write” (paraphrase). I don’t remember who she was or in what magazine or on which website I’d read it, but I remember the profound and simple maxim… “Writers write.” The same holds true for furniture makers, plumbers, entrepreneurs, electricians… and most assuredly for Christians.

Sometimes men and women, as married couples, think there’s an ideal time to have kids. After someone has finished school, after the next promotion, when we get out of Mom’s basement (well that one’s actually true!), when we move into a bigger house, etc. There are certainly better choices to be made - like waiting until you’re married to have sex, saving your money when you’re single so that you can afford to support a family, being responsible, etc., but the truth is there is no ideal time to bring a little person into this broken world. Poopie diapers never become fun. Nobody ever celebrates the opportunity to wake up at 2am to feed a hungry baby.

Within the context of the local church there seems to be a common and pervasive mentality outside the “professional” ministerial staff (horrible term). This mentality is where we often convince ourselves that it’s okay for me to sit on the sidelines because I don’t really know my Bible well enough; I’m new to the church; if they needed me they’d tell me; it’s hard enough just making it to church on time - never mind showing up early or staying late to help serve others; or I’m not really a “people person,” etc.

So the question then becomes “Why?” Why don’t you know your Bible well enough since you’ve been saved now these many years? How is it that you can find the time to play video games, immerse yourself in social media for hours on end, be up to speed on the latest episodes of all your favorite shows, devour books and articles, but then feign humility in saying, “Not me. I’m not equipped to serve because I don’t know my Bible.” Well why not?

Also, how is being new to a church an excuse? Paul was the proverbial “new guy” in virtually every city he visited because he was constantly on the go spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. He taught in synagogues and after being rejected - he’d go to the town square to meet people, answer questions, establish relationships, identify leaders, and ultimately plant churches. Paul knew what his gifts were - and he used them to build up the Body of Christ. Being new wasn’t an excuse for idleness or anonymity, but rather an opportunity for blessing and rejuvenation.

Our mentality of anonymity and procrastination as “acceptable” grants us a false sense of peace, which allows us to rationalize our disconnectedness with misguided self-talk like: “When I feel comfortable with my level of biblical knowledge…” “When I know some more people…” “When someone asks me…” “When I have more time and my schedule slows down…” or “When I truly feel led or that God is calling, then I’ll serve.” News flash: every Christian is called to serve.

Like the truism, “Writers write,” it’s true that Christians, followers of Jesus Christ, are called to be actively involved in serving to build up the Body of Christ - to do the good things that God has prepared in advance for us to do.

In 1 Corinthians 12:7 Paul writes, “A manifestation of the Spirit is given to each person to produce what is beneficial.” Paul then spends the next several chapters discussing what truly is beneficial - not blabbering in unintelligible tongues, not mere financial contributions made from the sterility and security of your home office, neither martyrdom nor miracles, but Christ’s legacy: a ministry of love “so that the church may be built up” (1 Cor 14:5)... “seek to excel in building up the church” (14:12)... “All things must be done for edification” (14:26).

The local church that is exclusively staffed by paid “professionals” who do nothing to truly identify, equip, and cultivate the spiritual gifts of its members is a sham and epic failure according to biblical standards. Unfortunately, that’s how many of our churches operate today. Professional preachers, singers, musicians, food service, hospitality, traffic / parking attendants, sound / tech gurus, etc., etc., all paid for their services - thus leaving members with the impression that everything is buttoned-up and taken care of. Therefore the culture is one that clearly communicates to our congregations “All I need to do is show up, grab my coffee, stay awake for the sermon, and get out of the parking lot as fast as possible.”

In Luke 10:25-37 Jesus addressed this distorted view of fellowship, love, service, and community with the story of the “Good Samaritan.” The story tells of a man in dire need. One of the temple priests passes by with no recognition of, or regard for, the man. The priest’s focus and priority were elsewhere. Next, a Levite (a man also affiliated with serving in God’s temple) meanders by in a fashion comparable to the priest. Unlike the oblivious priest, the Levite seems to take note of the man’s dire condition; therefore his indifference is more deplorable and tragic. The reader is left to wonder, “Won’t anyone help this man?”

The point of the story  isn’t merely a condemnation of official Judaism, but even more so of Christianity and how we are readily and selfishly blind to the dire needs of humanity right in front of - and all around - us. The point is that while we’re busy content with being oblivious - people are dying in their depravity. While we’re squandering our gifts and resources for our own comfort and satisfaction - people are hurting and lost. Because we’ve convinced ourselves that we’re not the right person for the privilege of helping build up the Body of Christ - that joyful and blessed endowment passes to another.

Sadly, we’ve convinced ourselves, enabled ourselves, and waited ourselves into the deceitful pitfall of dawdling indolence and torpor. We rush to “church” to engage in superficial worship, cutting people off in traffic, cursing under our breath, thanklessly snide to “ignorant” and “worthless” volunteers, while simultaneously having the audacity to implore God, “Use me Lord!” Ironically all the while, like the priest and Levite, stepping over the very thing that matters most to God - lost, hurting, and dying people; the very pinnacle of God’s creation.

Are you caught in the waiting trap? The escape hatch is readily accessible: simply love the very next person you cross paths with, and love them well without counting the cost.

Blessings,
-Kevin M. Kelley

aMostUnlikelyDisciple.com

No comments: