Subscribe

08 November 2016

Strong & Courageous

STRONG & COURAGEOUS:


When I first began to study the Bible it amazed me that the Israelites of the Old Testament could be so pathetic. In Exodus, God had just delivered them from 400+ years of slavery and oppression under Pharaoh; they watched - first-hand - as God brought plagues, parted the waters, and crushed their enemies. Yet as soon as their stomachs rumbled, the moment they felt a bit parched, and when things seemed the slight bit daunting… the Israelites melted like wax on a summer day in Texas. After everything God had done for them - “How pathetic!” That’s how I used to feel.

My ministry role has recently changed at my home church. I’m now leading our global mission ministry, which entails developing and implementing a global mission strategy, cultivating existing international partnerships with missionaries and ministries, and exploring new partnerships as well. When our church leaders first approached me with the proposal I was less than thrilled (understatement).

I went home that day feeling frustrated, fearful, dejected, and disappointed. My vision for my ministry was something more akin to the pastor of a small country church; sermon prep and study time, preaching on Sundays, hospital visits, local outreach events, leading a men’s ministry, discipleship, etc. All those things are within my comfort zone. All those things are within my abilities…

In Matthew 14:29 we read, “‘Come,’ he (Jesus) said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.”

Unlike Peter, I never experienced the fleeting moment of blissful delusion atop the waves. My initial response was that of feeling physically ill. My stomach dropped as I began to think about my family, extensive travel to foreign countries, language barriers, safety issues, my sensitive stomach and food allergies… I’m sure you get the picture.

One of the most amazing things I’ve experience through writing this blog is witnessing a readership that literally spans the globe. I’ve registered hits from well over 100+ countries on every continent except Antarctica. All from the safety of my kitchen table, home office, or local coffee shop. But the moment that God said, “Come,” fear flooded in.

Courage isn’t the absence of fear, but rather conquering it by obedient faith.

Faith is resolute / steadfast obedience regardless of overwhelming circumstances.

As Joshua (Jesus’ Hebrew name meaning “the LORD saves”) stood on the cusp of the Promised Land, God told him “Be strong and courageous!” four times! Joshua wasn’t facing the daunting task of riding in a 747, deciding which on-board movie to watch, long lines at customs, or terrifying mosquitos.

Instead, Joshua and the Israelites faced real enemies and real armies in this foreign land; armies with real weapons and legitimate intentions to slaughter every last one of them. Joshua had no U.S. Embassy to turn to - nor did he need one. Joshua was given the unique privilege of leading God’s people into the unknown where they would sit at the crossroads of civilization and share the blessing of God Almighty with the nations; and more importantly he was given a promise from God Himself, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

When we obediently participate in God’s mission, i.e. to be a blessing to all the people on earth, then we, like Joshua, David, Paul, and the countless multitude of faithful saints, martyrs, and missionaries throughout history, can confidently stand strong and courageous in God’s promise “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Where might God be calling you to step out in faith today? It begins with small, almost imperceivable, things. Will you share your faith with your friends? Will you live out Christ’s love at the slow moving drive-thru, with your annoying co-worker, with your finances? Will your social media accounts reflect the life of someone who is born again or will they be indistinguishable from people lost in sin?

Courage isn’t the absence of fear, but rather conquering it by faith.

God implores us over and over again, “Be strong and courageous!” He is the one who makes our steadfast courage and faith possible through an eternal promise “I will never leave your nor forsake you,” - a promise sealed perfectly at the Cross.

Blessings,
-Kevin M. Kelley

aMostUnlikelyDisicple.com

No comments: