Subscribe

30 March 2016

Prayer's Power

Prayer’s Power!




Several weeks ago I had the opportunity to visit a sick little girl at a hospital here in Dallas, Texas. When we got there the mom was telling us about how their first child was born healthy, but their second was born with a breathing disorder. When her second baby was about 2 years old he passed away in his sleep. Their third child, the girl in the video, was born without the ability to fully bend her arms or legs. Their fourth child, another little girl, was the one in the hospital with the same breathing issues their second child suffered from.


I wasn’t really sure how the mom was able to hold it all together, but she did. I had just begun working at the church and was just supposed to be “along for the ride.” The most senior pastor asked the mom if we could pray for them, and she said “Of course!” So the pastor turned to me and said, “Kevin, would you pray?”


I’d never felt panicked about prayer in my life until that moment. I’d prayed in front of congregations of 3,000 people and it didn’t phase me, but now - in front of this mother and her sick little infant with oxygen tubes and doctors scrambling around us - I was terrified.


My response was, “Absolutely.” So I bowed my head, took a breath and then prayed a silent prayer to God, “LORD, please don’t let me screw this up.” God gave me a supernatural calm - almost as if our Father in heaven had His divine hand on my shoulder to let me know “Kevin, I’ve got this.”


Later than evening I heard from the mom. She told me that about 30 minutes after we prayed the doctors took her little girl off oxygen and she was preparing to go home.


God taught me a couple of things that day. First, if you’re not feeling overwhelmed, inadequate, and insufficient in the things you’re praying for - then you’re not praying big enough prayers. Second, it reminded me that God truly is almighty and can accomplish anything at anytime if we would only ask.


The video is of their third child. She is an absolute sweetheart as you’ll see. God is still in the business of answering prayers.

Blessings,
-Kevin
amostunlikelydisciple.com

No comments: