Subscribe

10 January 2016

What Must I Do - 2


Part 2:


Asaam, the head servant, reluctantly stepped forth - unable to bear the heft of the moment any longer. Stammering, Assam said uneasily, “Master, are you alright?”  He heard his young lord mumble something barely audible and certainly unintelligible. Asaam bit his tongue and resisted the temptation to ask his master to repeat himself.  Subconsciously he dragged his fingers across the heavy scars on his back and shoulders – the lasting vivid reminder of the one time he made that mistake. Then Asaam leaned in - waiting, eyes squinting, face wracked with concern for the dejected man on the floor - his master.  Moments passed like hours and then, abruptly, the eerie silence ended as he heard the young lord whisper what sounded like the word “Everything” under his breath. Asaam responded “Everything my lord?” face wracked with absolute bewilderment and horror. “Tell me what you would have me do, and I will serve you!”  Again, Asaam heard the young lord say “Everything.” Poised, as if standing on needles and eggshells, Asaam was ready to do his master’s bidding in an instant, but he needed something more. Asaam was simultaneously afraid to act and afraid not to. The faithful servant scanned his mind for something he’d missed, some task the master had assigned him, something he misunderstood, something that he had forgotten, something that might give him a clue as to what “everything” could possibly mean.

The young ruler leapt to his feet with a crazed look in his eyes and began shouting at the top of his lungs, “Everything! EVERYTHING! That’s insane! I can’t sell everything!  The wine cellar… they’re full of the finest wines on earth!  My clothes are from the finest tailors in the world…  I can’t sell my clothes, what would I wear?  My fields, all my homes, my shops, my livestock! Everything?  Everything! What?! He’s crazy!” The young master looked at Asaam - as if the clueless servant should have the answer. Asaam’s eyes were now glued wide open while his mouth was unconsciously gaping. Then the young ruler spouted, “What does he know!”  He looked at Asaam as if expecting a reply.  Asaam responded, “Who, my lord?”  “That fool, Jesus!” the young lord sneered violently through his teeth. Then again he said, “Jesus!” with jaw and fists both clinched shut.  “I heard the rumors,” the young ruler said, “I listened to the stories of his miracles, his knowledge, his amazing teaching!  I am the most powerful man in this province!  I got on my knees for him! That filthy Nazarene! I greeted him with respect! More respect than he deserves!  And he tells me that I have to sell everything before I can follow him!  Ha! He should be the one coming to me!  Jesus should be on his knees before me - asking me about the secrets of life!  My sandals alone are worth more than everything he owns!"

Tune in tomorrow for Part 3!

Blessings,
-Kevin


No comments: