Subscribe

15 November 2015

The Ugly Cousin



The Ugly Cousin:


Frustration is the ugly cousin to failure.  Frustration stems from a skewed perception of reality where one fails to recognize the threat of self-reliance.  Therefore the frustrated person keeps thinking that within the context of their marriage, family, business, finances, addiction, or whatever situation it may be – that this is an opportunity to “show what I’m made of” and turn frustration into victory.

How’s that working out?

I know, because frustration is where I’ve lived the majority of my whole life – before and after being redeemed in Christ.  Last night, as I reflected on my level of frustration, I realized that I was deceiving myself into thinking that seeing everything as an opportunity for ministry was sufficient.  The problem is in recognizing my own weakness.  I’m not a great husband – but I want to think that I am.  I’m not a great parent – but I want to think that I am.  I’m not a great writer – but I want to think that I am.  I’m not a great… anything – but I continue wanting to believe the lie the world tells us, “If you believe, you can achieve.”

Poppycock.

Belief is insufficient.  What is necessary is recognition of absolute dependence upon Christ for everything.  Jesus Himself said, “Apart from me you can do nothing.”  That doesn’t mean that if you became a follower of Christ at some point in your past that you’ve now got the ‘Jesus thing’ down and can ride on Philippians 4:13 cruise control: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Doing things through Christ means that you must be abiding in Christ.  His will, i.e. the Father’s, must be your will. His obedience must be your obedience. His perfection must be your perfection. His strength, i.e. the Holy Spirit, must be your strength. Yielding and surrender are very difficult for certain personalities – and I am one of those.  So was the Apostle Paul.

The Apostle Paul wrote, “Therefore, so that I would not exalt myself, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to torment me so I would not exalt myself. Concerning this, I pleaded with the Lord three times to take it away from me. But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness.’”

Paul struggled with dependence upon his own knowledge, skills, and abilities. So God graciously sent a “messenger of satan to torment” Paul.  Paul was frustrated because he was depending on himself, and not God for strength. Paul prayed that God would take the frustration, the torment, the messenger of satan away, but God’s response was, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

Ministers, missionaries, pastors, preachers, and all kinds of servants of Christ are frustrated today because we see opportunities (good thing), but we don’t see victories.  Just as God gave Paul a thorn in the flesh, frustration, and a messenger of satan, He gives that to us too so that we will cease to depend upon our own knowledge, skills, and abilities – even if they are spiritual gifts.

By God’s grace He frustrates our ministry when in the midst of opportunities we want to exalt ourselves.  The problem is not in seeing everything as an opportunity – not at all.  The problem is in deceiving ourselves into thinking that we can do ANYTHING apart from moment-by-moment absolute dependence upon Christ.

Instead of praying for victories, and skipping the dependence aspect, pray to recognize the sufficiency of God’s grace – not the sufficiency of your skill set or spiritual gifts. Paul’s skill set – under his own power as Saul – culminated in his murdering Christians.  My skill set – under my own power – led to abysmal failure. Paul learned that through God’s grace a desire to exalt self is transformed and transported from frustration into victory.

Are you frustrated in ministry, marriage, parenting, self-control, and/or addiction? The beauty is that you see opportunity – otherwise you’d feel defeat not frustration.  The challenge is to recognize that you’re depending upon self and not God’s grace.

God is omnipotent and His strength is ours in Christ.

God’s mission is the redemption of humanity through Christ and opportunities are everywhere for “The harvest is plentiful” (Matt 9:37).

Where our strength meets God’s mission there is always frustration.

Where God’s strength meets God’s mission there is always victory.

But you, Lord, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me.
-Psalm 22:9

Blessings,
-Kevin

PS If I can pray for you regarding your frustration(s) in ministry and life, you can email me: LVNFIT68@icloud.com

No comments: